- Report the injury.
- Complete an incident report. Make sure the information contained in the incident report is accurate and true to the best of your knowledge. Do NOT sign a blank incident report or one completed by a company official. If your job is threatened because of your refusal to sign a blank report or one completed by a company official that is not accurate AND does not contain ALL of the facts then report it to the highest ranking person on the vessel.
- Request medical treatment. Remember that when completing any form that the information that you provide is accurate and true to the best of your knowledge AND make sure that it contains all of the facts surrounding your accident.
- Obtain the names and telephone numbers of all witnesses to your accident.
- Take pictures, if possible.
- Do not continue to work if you are unable or if you are further injuring yourself or causing yourself pain.
- As soon as you return to shore, see a physician of your choosing that you trust.
- Speak with an experienced maritime lawyer as soon as possible.
Jones Act Seamen can sue their employer for work-related injuries caused by the employer’s negligence. Qualifying as a Jones Act Seaman can greatly increase your rights to recovery of damages for an injury related to your maritime employment. To qualify as a seaman under the Jones act you must have a substantial connection to a vessel or a fleet in duration and nature, be employed on a vessel “in navigation” and contribute to the vessel’s function or mission. If you are in doubt, give us a call.
Yes, if your injury was caused by the fault or negligence of another person who is not a co-employee and it occurred on navigable waters then you may have a claim under general maritime law. If your injury arises out of your employment and was caused by your fault or the fault of a co-employee then you may have rights under state or federal workers compensation laws. Offshore cases have “twists” and “turns” that require an experienced maritime lawyer to interview you, research and analyze to answer whether or not you have a case. Call us for a free consultation to get the answer.
Our fees are contingent upon recovering for you. If we do not make a recovery on your behalf, then you do not owe us any fees. If we make a recovery on your behalf, then our fee is a percentage of the gross amounts recovered on your behalf. It is simple, we win and we get paid.
No. We provide a free consultation so that you can make an informed decision about your case.
If you were injured in an accident as a result of the fault of another then you may recover damages which include pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, mental anguish, wage loss, loss of earning capacity, past medical expenses and future medical expenses. All of these damages will be unique to you and will usually be dependent upon the nature, severity and duration of your injury.
We have the skills, experience and resources to maximize the recovery made on your behalf and obtain the best possible result. Kevin R. Duck is a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. In order to obtain membership, Mr. Duck had to obtain settlements or verdicts in excess of a million dollars on multiple occasions. Rest assured, you are in good hands.
As long as it takes to obtain the best possible result. Remember, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
Offshore Injury Cases
Offshore accidents can be complex and challenging cases due to the technical maritime and admiralty laws that apply to these cases. The recovery available to you is based on several factors that require detailed analysis and research by an attorney who is experienced in handling admiralty and maritime accident. There are numerous “landmines” that await and not every personal injury attorney has the training, skill and/or experience to navigate around these landmines provide you with the best representation to maximize recovery.
Rest assured, the oil companies, offshore service companies and their insurers, that you will face, have trained and experienced maritime attorneys on standby will do their best keep you from making a recovery. You will only have one opportunity to recover for injuries and damages that will last a lifetime. Your selection of the right attorney is critical. Call Duck Law Firm if you want an aggressive firm with over 25 years of maritime litigation experience that will give your case the attention it needs in order for you to obtain the best possible result.
Why Duck Law Firm?
- WE LISTEN. The details of how the accident occurred and the damages it has caused you and your family are extremely important to us and your case.
- WE CARE. With us, you are not a number, a file in a cabinet, you are one of a kind and you matter!
- RESOURCES. We have the financial resources needed to take all measures necessary to provide for the best possible result.
- EXPERIENCE AND SKILL. Over 25 years of trial and courtroom experience.
- COMMITMENT. My life has always been based upon the philosophy if it is worth doing then it is worth doing it right. The value of the case has never dictated my effort or commitment. I do it one way, the right way!
- INTEGRITY. Honor and character are the foundation of our firm.
- RESULTS. While we cannot promise results, we can promise hard work, commitment and integrity which have resulted in the recovery of millions on behalf of our clients.
If you demand individual attention and an attorney who is committed to doing his best to represent you and who you know you can trust, then you have found that attorney. Contact us and we will fight for you!