The value of your injury claim after an accident will depend largely on factors such as the nature and severity of the injuries you sustained, the type of treatment required and whether or not the injury causes a disability that impair your function, quality of life and ability to work.
Your first priority should be taking care of yourself. Get the medical care you need immediately following an accident and get settled back at home. Then, if you believe the other party was responsible, you can get in touch with a personal injury attorney. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury lawsuit is one year from the date of the car accident.
The time it takes to process, negotiate and settle your claim can vary. In personal injury actions, the severity of the injury is a key factor in determining the value of your claim and how long it will take to resolve the case. Each case is unique and the time to resolve the claim may vary. If your injuries are minor and liability is not contested, then usually the claim can be resolved within months of your accident. However, if your injuries are serious, then resolving the case will not be prudent until a determination can be made as to the extent of your damages. We treat each case as if it were going to be presented to a jury. We do not take short cuts. We will take all the time necessary to make sure we obtain the best possible result.
If you were injured in the accident, no! The insurance company hires skilled adjustors whose sole function is to minimize your damages and undermine your case. You should contact an attorney who has litigation experience against trucking companies.
Damages can included compensation for lost wages, as well as lost future earning capacity. The former is simple to figure out based on how much time at work you missed. The latter will depend primarily on what your doctors expect your maximum medical improvement (MMI) to be, and the kind of treatment and therapy you will continue to need moving forward.
Were you seriously injured in an accident involving an 18-wheeler or other commercial vehicle?
Collisions with large trucks and commercial vehicles can be quite serious, given the size discrepancy that usually exists between the vehicles involved. If you have been injured in an accident caused by the recklessness of a truck driver, it is crucial you assert your rights and seek the compensation you deserve.
These types of accidents are unfortunately common on American roadways. Consider these statistics:
- In Louisiana in 2016, 69 people died in accidents involving tractor trailers
- In the same year, there were 1,368 injuries in accidents involving large trucks in the state
- Nationwide, approximately 11 percent of traffic fatalities are a result of collisions with large commercial trucks
Our team works with you to resolve cases involving tractor trailers, semis, flatbeds and any other type of large commercial truck you’ll find on the road.
Why Duck Law Firm?
When you’ve been injured in an accident, you can place your trust in Duck Law Firm to get you the best possible result in your case. Here’s why you should make us your first phone call:
- WE LISTEN. Simply put, we care greatly about your wellbeing, and throughout the entire process of your case we will put your needs first and foremost. We are here to listen to everything you have to say, and then give you compassionate, personal service.
- WE HAVE RESOURCES. Duck Law Firm has the financial resources needed to allow us to take all appropriate measures to get you the best result in your case.
- WE ARE TRUSTED. With more than 25 years of trial and courtroom experience, Duck Law Firm is trusted by clients across the region and is known by the legal community to be a force in the world of personal injury law.
- WE ARE COMMITTED. We are in this business because we care about making our clients whole again to the fullest extent possible. Regardless of the value or nature of your case, our level of commitment remains the same. We do the job the right way.
- WE HAVE INTEGRITY. Integrity and character are extremely important to us. You can trust us to be fully honest and transparent with you throughout your entire case.
While we can never promise a particular result, what we can promise is that we will work as hard as we can to get you the result you want. That commitment has resulted in us recovering millions of dollars on behalf of our clients over the years.
Expect the Best
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver of an 18-wheeler or other type of large commercial vehicle, we encourage you to contact us at Duck Law Firm today to schedule a consultation with our legal team. We are committed to giving you the best legal service you can find and tirelessly fighting on your behalf to get you the settlement you deserve.